Sunday, October 4, 2009

AAR - Successor Campaign

We played Wayne's excellent home-made Successor campaign this past Thursday (Oct 1).

The game featured four players - Dave, John, Wayne, and myself. Wayne also served as mentor, tutor, girl-guide, and boy scout to us all as we learned his new system.

The system is a bit more involved (in a very good way) than most of the mini-campaigns that we have tried in the past. It all worked together, however, very well and produced a number of battles (which is the point).

We used a random army system where every army that engaged had its composition randomly determined each battle season (from a list of Successor armies, from the DBA rulebook).

The game featured some naval action (in an abstracted, but satisfying, manner).

The components were very skillfully done by Wayne, and are very interesting in themselves.

I must admit that it was fun to be on the winning side (Team Blue, which consisted of myself and John, vs. Team Red, which was Dave and Wayne). And that was with me fighting my first battle using the Arkansas Chug-a-Bug of Successor armies (II/18c - Macedonian Early Successor, Kassandros). That army has 4 pike, but gets rewarded by having 4 aux (whoopie). Still, it did well enough against Wayne's army (which I don't recall, but had to be either Seleucid II/19a or Ptolemaic II/20a), even though he had 2 Knights and 1 Light Horse, to my 1 Knight and 1 Cav. Very interesting fight. My elephant beat a unit of his auxilia which were backed by psiloi. Splat!

See some of the action in these great photos.

Great stuff - I can't wait for our next DBA night, which will be October 29.

-Chuck (roving reporter of the ODMS wargaming scene)

No comments:

Post a Comment